Saturday, January 1, 2011

resolution...organization

With the start of the New Year I cannot help but turn my thoughts to the goals in which I would like set through this coming year. I know perhaps one of the most popular resolutions set each year is the hopes of more organization in our lives. I like the masses, too would like to see my life more organized. Especially in  my home, and with my daily schedule.
 So I began to think..if my life..in these particular areas...were more organized what would that mean for me and for my family?
 First I took a look at my home. Well...an organized home would mean less time spent looking for things I can never seem to find when I desperately need it. I cannot tell you the daily stress I put myself through just because I can't locate the lost. This stress is only intensified when someone else is wanting me to find something that I may or may not have put in a place that it did not belong. It's funny how at the time the new placement of an object seems so logical...I mean of course I'll remember I put that there;) Yes the saying seems to be true...it's all about...location, location, location. I do, however also find it funny that it always seems to be "me" who is "misplacing" everything...Suspicious?...A little.
 Recently I have felt God working in my heart to open up my home. I have begun to see how valuable simple hospitality really is. Honestly much of the reason I have not wanted to do so is the stress I feel when getting the home ready for guests. My anxiety is often induced by my husbands lack of communication when he has invited unexpected guests to come into our home. Often I am just given a twenty minute warning...and sometimes even just a knock on the door. Although I love that my husband enjoys filling his home with friends and family I do feel like " more communication" may need to be his New Years Resolution;) But in fact if the home was more organized perhaps the "crazy clean up" would not have to be so...crazy. Of course I do realize that with two young children...my home will not ever be completely void of all clutter but my goal is to get it to a manageable amount. I also realize that perhaps I worry to much about what someone might be thinking when they see my sink full of dishes or my basket of laundry. This is where I see the true value in my husbands "open door" policy...Come as you are is as true to him as...Come in...as we are. He is more concerned about the fellowship we may be having then the "mess" we may be surrounded by. I never want someone to enter my home and feel unwelcome because of my last second scramble to hide away the mess. As my Mother-in-Law has always told me..."It just looks lived in...and that's how it should be".
 My lack of organization could also be due to the plan and simple fact that I am a chronic procrastinator. This as you can imagine, has caused significant damage to any attempt of a daily home schedule. Time seems to only be wasted while procrastinating. I never really find myself saying okay I really don't want to fold the clothes right now so I will go ahead and tackle those dirty dishes...No instead I find myself mindlessly watching cartoons with my children or searching the internet. It is sad for me to think about all the time I have wasted trying to avoid what will eventually need to be done. I cannot escape...no matter how much I would like to at times...the dreaded to do list. So I have decided in order to keep my schedule in order I must have some sort of accountability. Although somewhat reluctant to do so I have decied to write down and post my schedule for all in the home to see. In doing so I will gain the accountability but also may gain the knowledge of the areas I could use the most help in and will be able to communicate those needs and perhaps schedule in a little help too. I would like to also show my children...through all of this...how valuable time is and that by not picking up after themselves it causes me to loose valuable time with them. I have always thought...(well since I left the care of my own Mother;)...that by leaving something for someone else to do...for you...is like saying that their time is not as vaulable as yours. Of course Mom will do it...that's what her time is for...right?...Wrong....or at least it should be. I guess that certain amounts of gratitude seem to only be obtained through life experience...like in becoming a Mother yourself.
 They say that the state of your home is a direct reflection of the state of mind you find yourself in. If your home is cluttered and chaotic then often that is how you will find your life. Being a person that often has a hard time saying no I find this statement to be so very true. I tend to jam pack my life with this and that cluttering my mind with list after list of things that I have said yes to. In doing this I leave little time to enjoy or complete any of them. This year I have begun to see how necessary it is for me to clear out the clutter...both in my home and in my life. Simplify, simplify, simplify. But what do I get rid of? In praying I have started to see more clearly what those things really are and have also been able to see all the good a wonderful things that will fill those places instead...more time with family and friends, more freedom, I mind at ease...the list goes on and on. I am truly looking forward to seeing how a little more organization effects all the areas of my life and the lives of my family...and so I pray...
  Lord, You know my weaknesses...and organization Lord is...as you know...one of my many weaknesses. Lord I pray that you will give me strength as I attempt to make this change in my life. I pray that you will keep my mind focused. I also pray Lord that I would not be discouraged by any falls that I may have. Lord I pray that you will pick me right up Lord and set me back on track. I thank you Lord for showing me my weaknesses so I could also see the changes I need to make...the challenges I need to overcome. Lord I pray for my home. I pray that you would bring to it a certain peace and calm that we so desperately need. I thank you Lord for all you have given me...For the love that fills my home...the warmth...the shelter...Lord I feel so blessed....amen

No comments:

Post a Comment