Friday, May 27, 2011

strong will

There is no way that anyone could have prepared me in the “art” of parenting a strong willed child. It is…I’m sure…a skill not many have mastered...due in part to the reluctance of the “subjects” willingness to be molded any way shape or form. Recently as I was crying out to God to make a change in my child’s heart…to help him to be more obedient to see how his behavior was effecting me…my prayers were suddenly silenced by my son barging into the room shouting at the top of his lungs. Without thinking I immediately scolded him. I mean couldn’t he see I was in meditation with the Lord? It was then that I realized that it was time to start praying for a change in me. I prayed then that God would soften my heart and guide me towards a new way of thinking.
Soon after this occurred I received a phone call from my Mom. Some how, along the conversation we began discussing my son. She then started to tell me about a program she had watched about “strong willed children”. After the phone call ended I immediately went to my computer and started researching. As I read a certain feeling of relief and a new burst of confidence came over me. We could do this! We could make the changes necessary in our family to give us all what we truly wanted and needed in the end…to finally be heard. 
I do want to share some of the information that I have gleaned from some of the articles and book suggestions that I came across. These of course have become stepping stones for me...not a paved path. I do not in anyway believe that there is one set form of parenting that the entire world should follow. I am obviously not an expert but just another weary traveler walking down this long and bumpy road of parenthood. I know many of you have already set your coarse and have established what works for you...but I feel like our journey...my families journey...has just begun and who knows what lies ahead for us. What has become important for me is to remain confident in what we are enforcing, and to make sure that we are seeing positive results in the lives of our children...and if any of this does not seem to be falling into place...we will adapt...redirect...and find another way back to the path that God has lovingly laid out for our family.

 

 Parenting Your Strong-Willed Child

 Shaping Your Strong-Willed Child 

The Journey of a Strong-Willed Child

Characteristics of a Strong-Willed Child

The New Strong-Willed Child

Love and Logic 
  • Act without frustration or anger
  • Stop using threats and repeated warnings
  • Set a Limit once
  • Make statements you can enforce
  • Give kids a healthy sense of control

and so I pray...Lord I pray for strength...always I pray for strength. I pray for wisdom...always I pray for wisdom. I pray for grace...always I pray for grace. I pray Lord...and you answer...always you answer. Thank you Lord. Amen 

    3 comments:

    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can tell that I will be needing these links in the future :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Your welcome Leah. It is amazing how early on you can start to see that strong will be formed. I hope the information helps! Remember you can always call me if you need a sympathetic ear! Love you!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh Kara. All four of my kids are strong willed and some days I am on my knees more than not. I have to remind myself that in todays society being strong willed is a God send. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

      Thanks for the links; some are new to me.

      ReplyDelete