Thursday, December 30, 2010

a life lived...intentionally

Not to long ago I received a message from my dearest friend. Amongst all the beautifully written  words she wrote was a statement that for me stood out amongst the rest. She wrote of her desire to live her life more intentionally. As it often happens with the nearest and dearest of friends the incredible honesty in what she shared with me spoke a truth that I desperately needed to hear...at the moment I needed to hear it the most. I know that the letter was not intended for a call out of change for myself but it did indeed cause me to take another look into my own life and to see the ways that I could drastically alter my day...my "everyday".  I too had gotten used to mindlessly going about my day not thinking of the worth or value to the task at hand.
It is perhaps something...no matter the season of life you find yourself in...whether your day is spent inside the home or out...that remains a struggle. To do all things with intention, with a purpose, with a goal in mind. No matter the task God calls us to do it for his glory...in his name. As I began praying about the ways in which to um...well...change my ways my thoughts turned to a post I had read several weeks prior. The post was from one of my favorite blogs that I follow Passionate Homemaking.  Here is some of those words that spoke so loudly to me...again.
  
"...Then the Lord gently reminded me that maintaining joy in my tasks is my opportunity to worship my Creator. He has designed us, as women, to establish a peaceful home for God’s glory.
As Ginger Plowman puts it so well in her book, Heaven at Home,God created you, the woman, with a wonderful uniqueness that enables you to build your home and family in accordance with his perfect plan. To follow his calling and accept your uniqueness is to fulfill your purpose….The Proverbs 31 woman…as productive and respected as she was, was nothing without the atoning grace of God. She delighted in serving and worshiping her Creator in all the mundane duties of life. She knew that God created her as a woman, to be a wife of noble character, a nurturing mom, and a homemaker. She glorified God in her femininity.”
Did you hear that? To be a godly woman means we worship the Creator in all the duties of life – everything from diapers, to dishes, to scrubbing toilets, to preparing meals, to decorating our homes. Each task is an act of worship to our Creator, because we are faithfully walking in His beautiful design. Worship is not limited to Sundays, or to actual singing, but it is doing all that we do for the glory of God, with a heart that desires to please Him. These are acts of worship when completed with a joyful heart. “Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Cor. 10:31).
Don’t fall under the lie that your assignment in the home is worthless, or less important. You have the opportunity to bring God glory through every mundane task. Washing the dishes is an opportunity to worship my Savior! Training my children is an opportunity to radiate God’s beauty. Sing while you work, inwardly and externally, and God will be greatly glorified. The important thing is to keep your eyes on Jesus and do the next thing...."

I know that to some this would seem like an extreme way of looking at homemaking. Worshiping...while scrubbing the toilet...really? But I guess really it all depends on the attitude we have while going into it. To keep our minds focused and our thoughts positive. To not let ourselves become numb to the things we find ourselves doing day after day. To realize how much a task so small can impact those around us in a big and powerful way. To also realize that when what we do is done with the greatest intention it then serves a greater purpose...and at times...the greatest purpose of all...to worship and to glorify our Lord...and so I pray...

Lord I pray that you would remind me to be present in my own life. To realize just how much my absent mind impacts the lives of my family. Lord I pray for your guidance as this is a road I have not walked down in several years. Lord I pray that I will not let a day go by without my thoughts being turned towards you...as I work Lord and as I rest. Lord I pray that you will teach me how to greet the day with a servants heart. To remember that this is the day that you Lord have made...let me rejoice Lord and be glad in it. Let me do all this Lord..."intentionally"...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment