Friday, December 17, 2010

because I love you

This morning I overheard my children arguing in the other room. By the time I reached them Annah was on the floor crying and Jonah was bent over her trying to give her what looked like...some much needed comfort. I then hear him say "I'm sorry Annah but I push you because I love you." I knew at that moment that one of the many lessons we have tried to teach our children had some how gotten lost in translation. We have tried to explain to Jonah that the discipline that he receives is done out of love. Consequences are given in order for us to teach the difference between right and wrong. It serves as a reminder...and what would seem at times...a somewhat painful reminder. What seemed to be missing for my son was the constant need for explanation. Some times I busy myself so much that discipline just becomes another chore...another thing I have to do to get through the day. Instead I should be viewing these times as an opportunity to help my children grow in love and to truly understand life's daily lessons and yes even it's consequences. It is easy at times to forget that although I have already learned many of those lessons myself that my children have not yet done so and it is my responsibility to teach them. To teach them by giving my time, my unconditional love, my understanding, my forgiveness and my grace. To remember that many of those life lessons are taught by my example and to also remember that I too have many left to learn myself...and so I pray...
 Lord, I thank you for your love, your forgiveness and your grace. I thank you for continuing to teach me through the lives and the words of my children. Lord, I thank you for the time that you give me with my children and I pray that you would help me to spend that time with them more wisely. Lord I thank you for blessing me with the daily opportunities to grow as a Mother. Lord I pray that you would remind me in those weak moments that you will give me the strength and the wisdom I need to teach them what it is they need to learn...and what it is I need to say. Lord, I love you. I thank you for loving me perfectly and for loving my children so perfectly. Lord I pray that I can show them your unfailing love through this broken...and imperfect vessel. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment