Friday, February 4, 2011

let a little sunshine in

 Although I love so many things about the winter months the closer I get to spring the more I realize how much I long for the warmth and life that only it can bring. I have learned to enjoy and take away something from every season but this may be one of my favorite times to get out and look around at nature. I am a firm believer in the necessity of getting out and enjoying the fresh air. Exploring nature and all that it has to offer. Even in the cold we bundle up and go on a few short walks but nothing beats those first few moments of spring when you get to see nature waking up from it's long winter nap.
We are so very blessed to live in the environment that we do. Getting outside to explore  nature is just a matter of opening up our front door. We live along a beautiful river and are surrounded by so many gorgeous old growth trees . The forest behind our home is filled with many varieties of plants, bugs and of course some very cute "woodland creatures". I can not think of a more incredible place to live then where we are at this very moment. What better place to "grow" a family then right in the middle of where "growing" comes naturally;) 
 At this present moment in time both my children enjoy getting outside to explore. Annah is not quite as thrilled about the getting dirty part but still loves to take in the scenery. Jonah on the other had is all about discovery and if it means digging through the dirt or climbing a tree to find it...he's there. I love getting to be a witness of all that he has learned.
I realize that not everyone gets the opportunity to live on a campground and it is often more difficult to find great outdoor spaces to take your families but the importance of getting your family out to explore is still there. Research has shown that getting a little fresh air is indeed important for those little growing bodies...I guess Mom was right. Overtime there has become a disconnect between children and nature. I have come across article after article stating all the benefits to getting kids back outside. One organization and website in particular that I have found has lots of useful information on the subject. The organization is called the Children and Nature Network. The have several links and additional sites you can click on to get all the information you could ask for. They even list different ideas and activities to try to get your family out and ready to explore..."No Child Left Inside"
As I'm sure you guessed this subject is something that I am indeed very passionate about. I am a product of a home that stressed the importance of playing, gardening, exploring, and what ever else you could find to do while outside. I learned so many lessons that I never would have had the opportunity to learn if I had just stayed inside. I believe that the most important lesson for me was to learn to love nature and all that it has to offer....it is a lesson I hope to continue to teach my children...and so I pray
Lord, What an incredible world you have created for us to explore. I thank you Lord for providing such an amazing opportunity for my family to get to explore just a small piece of what you have created. I pray that you would help me not take this opportunity and blessing for-granted. I pray that you will also remind me of the importance of taking care of what you have given to us to enjoy. We love you Lord...Amen 

1 comment:

  1. Can we come live at your campground? It sounds perfect. We played outside on the sidewalk for 20 minutes before it snowed another 3" this afternoon. Oh how I long for summer and am grateful for a little sunshine!

    ReplyDelete