Tuesday, February 8, 2011

home making

 Home Making I have always loved the term home maker because that...in fact...is exactly what you are doing...making your house a home. If you stay at home or venture out...all of us still remain...our families "home makers". I have been thinking a lot about the things that I have made most important in my home. All of us have our own gifts and talent that we are able to infuse our homes with. There is no "Home Maker Mold" that we need to squeeze our self into. Each of us brings something different to the table...so to speak;)  It's important to use our own strengths and remember how important it is to use those for the sake of our families. For me one of those things is my creativity. Whether it be creative ways to save time and money or creative projects and games for my children...creativity is king for me. As you may know for many "creative thinkers" organization and strict scheduling  is not a strong point. I am one of the many. My "free thinking" attitude has occasionally brought a bit of craziness into our home. I decided it was time to take the negative and turn it into positives...without loosing what makes me...me in the process. Here are just a few areas that I plan on getting a little more "creative" with.
Frugal Living I believe the economy has hit everyone in one way or another. We have been so blessed to be in a situation where we feel very loved and taken care of. My husband as many of you I'm sure know is an incredible worker and has been an amazing provider for our family. Recently I decided that it was time for me to work just as hard to find ways to make what is brought home stretch a little further. While looking over and dissecting my monthly spending I discovered so many places that I had just been...well...wasteful. Just in the simple disorganization of our monthly bills and office paperwork money was lost amongst all the hidden fees or even the occasional late payment. I could not believe that I had let it get to that point. Just in this last month I have been able to save over a hundred dollars by making a few phone calls and canceling unwanted services and changing policies. It was however a little bitter sweet due to the fact that I had waited so long to make those simple changes. Along with the organization of our finances I have also been trying to organize our family meals. I have yet to set this new plan in motion but am confident that it will also make a difference in our monthly spending. In planning our meals I am able to plan for the amount of groceries that we will need for that week. I have also realized that I have been overlooking the almighty coupon which is something I plan to remedy soon. Along with all the ways to save I have also discovered ways to bring a little cash in without sacrificing my life at home. Consignment stores have not only helped organize and de-clutter my home but have been a place to earn a little cash back on all those unused and unwanted items. I was amazed by the amount I was able to earn by just simply dropping it all off. As I'm sure you have read I am also taking my "junking" habit and turning it into a little cash as well. These challenging times have left everyone trying to find some creative ways to stretch a little a long way. I hope that all that I have learned will stay with me when Lord willing the challenge is no longer there. 
Organized, Clean, and De-Cluttered Home  Although the progress of simplifying my home as not gone as quickly as I would like I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. With each new step towards a clean, organized and de-cluttered home I feel the burden is getting lighter. I do realize that in order for my home to stay this way I will have to arm myself with tools and techniques. I have found that it is not easy for me to stick to daily schedules and so I am trying to come up with a more flexible way to stay on track. I once read of a woman that would schedule all deep cleaning  for one day and would try to do it in a certain time frame. Think "Hotel House Keeping". Although intense I believe this may be the solution to my scheduling disasters. Of course through out the week I would have a few daily chores and quick clean ups but the bulk would have been done. We will see how it works...I'll keep you posted;) Another factor in keeping a clean and organized home would be having a place for everything and putting everything in its place. Sounds simple but for some reason it's not. Creating spaces for those things takes time and a lot of thought....Deciding what to make room for and what to get rid of. I have discovered that containers are my friends. Having a visual of just how many I have of something is wonderful. I don't even realize how much I have collected until it's all in one spot. Another realization for me has been that some clean up projects require a day without the kids. I have found myself so frustrated when what I spent hours trying to sort has been mixed up and moved around. So I have learned that I need to make time...set a date...get it done! I have also learned that I need to lower my expectations of what I can get done in a day. I need to embrace the "one drawer at a time" method...especially if I have those not so helpful helpers at home;)
 Family Time  With the "Camping Season" only a few short months away this means one thing for my family...a lot less family time. Unfortunately it is the nature of the ministry. We have yet to master a balance in our schedules. I am sure my husband feels pulled in a million directions. Everyone is looking for his time and attention. I hope by using a little creativity and a bit of effort...I will be able to schedule in some much needed family time. We hope to take a little time this summer camping with friends which will be such an amazing retreat for all of us. Along with time with Daddy I am really wanting to try to make more time for one on one with my children. It is that I have not spent enough time doing. I forget how much it means to them. I also want to spend a lot more time allowing my children to pick our activities for the day. I'm sure I have good idea of what they might choose but I love getting to see their excitement when they get to be the "Child in Charge" for the day. Of course I cannot forget in all of this the...importance of one on one with my husband. This proves to be the hardest things to schedule in at this time of year. By the end of the season I am so ready to have him back;) I do hope that this year we can both make time together a priority...even if it means having to be incredibly creative with our date nights...Dinner for two surrounded by a hundred campers...maybe;)
 And so...whatever kind of "home maker" you are I hope you will join me in embracing just who that is. To remember how valuable your skills and strengths are to the daily lives of your families. Your home is what you make it...make it to the best of your ability....and so I pray...
Lord I thank you for my family and for my home. I pray that I will be able to infuse it with all that I am. I pray for my children to see through my example that you gave us our gifts to be used for your glory and in your name. I pray that I will not waste what you have given me. Lord I am so grateful for my husband. I am grateful for the way he provides for our family...with his love support, and yes in our finances. Lord you have designed us in such a special and unique way. You have given us each a responsibility to our family and for our home. I pray that you would let me see where I can continue to provide for my family...with the gifts you have given me. I love you Lord...amen

No comments:

Post a Comment